Tuesday 18 February 2014

Top Picks from NYFW


My Instagram feed is currently saturated with slightly blurred images of the runway, or model selfies backstage at the shows, and it's set to continue for another two weeks as we head to Milan and Paris for consecutive fashion weeks. It's definitely an unhealthy distraction during my Shakespeare lectures so I thought I'd make use of it. So much good stuff is coming out of London as we speak...but for now I've attempted to narrow down some of my favourite looks from New York for AW14 that are already inspiring me. You might guess I'm obsessing over polonecks right now. Each time I think I've got my top 10 sorted I spy another...OK OK it's more than 10. 

Tory Burch - The knee highs, the loose, easy beautiful print dresses, the roll knecks. The queen of preppy has somehow mixed it all up. 


The Row - The Olsen sisters must surely be their own inspiration for this elegant but tomboyish look. 


Rodarte - HOLLA at these metallic, sparkly bomber coats. 



Proenza Schouler - The cuts and the prints so structured yet so flattering (maybe it's because they're supermodels?). Love the camo-esque red skirt suit. 


T by Alexander Wang - Luxe knitted jumpers over hoodies should definitely be a thing, if decreed by the master of Sportswear, Mr Wang.




Theyskens Theory - Hair tucked into high knecks somehow works with the bare-legs, and in Winter probably makes them more bearable. 



Marc by Marc Jacobs - Kate Hillier and Luella Bartley's first collection epitomises who the Marc by Marc girl should be: young, fun, quirky and bold. And if tartan wants to stick around for another Winter it is most welcome. More polonecks too = tick. 


Thakoon - For when I am an important fashion-person...(only joking I'll be living at home till I'm 25 in the Jack Wills trakkies I've had since I was 14). 


Reed Krakoff - Pastel, Metallic, Snakeskin. More is never too much. 


Marchesa - Divine. I'll take the cornrows too please. (Also, do I spy an evening poloneck?)

I feel like the fashion police might arrest me for not putting in Alexander Wang's mainline collection, but although I was as impressed as anyone by his latest offering, I just can't envisage it on me. Perhaps after a few more of these posts I'll learn how to make things translate...but I've never been very good at the whole space age, minimal androgynous look. Just so you know what I'm talking about I'll put him in for good measure: 


See what I mean? I do love the backless boots though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment