Tuesday 18 February 2014

An Homage to the Black Jumper



Drawing copyright Rachel Rapp 


In my house I am the go-to girl for black jumpers (if only I could put that on my CV) and I must have about 10 in total. The title for this blog was in fact inspired by my house mates' running joke on this topic and my ongoing quest for the perfect black jumper. I'm not sure when my love of them began, but I think it's a love that will last a life time. The dismal weather that is currently battering Britain at the moment has plunged me into a wardrobe rut, and my trusty troop of black jumpers has been marched out with aggressive regularity. In winter there is nothing easier than throwing on a black jumper with anything - jeans, skirt, dress etc etc. I mean, this is pretty basic maths we're talking here. 
I always try and tell myself that I love colour, or that I need to buy more colourful, statement clothing, and come Summer, I'm all over colour like a rash. But I believe there's nothing more stylish than a woman who knows what suits her, and I know that black jumpers suit me nicely. Well, they suit everyone nicely. Also, understatement can be just as powerful as overstatement. My motto tends to be, when in doubt, where a black jumper.
At the moment, my favourites are an old faithful Topshop number, see fig.2 above, a loose-fit, woven, floppy thing that seems to save me every time I have a don't-know-what-to-wear crisis, and a chenille, black cropped roll neck from ASOS, see fig.1. However, not a day of Winter goes by when I'm not lusting after another one for the collection, the one below from Whistles is on my wish list at the moment. 
You might think this is one of the most trivial blog posts you've ever read, but I genuinely think the black jumper is an underrated garment and needs more attention. Black jumper, I salute you.


Boxy Roll Neck - Whistles 





No comments:

Post a Comment